Watch our introduction video
Career College North East (CCNE) was founded in September 2015 and is the UK’s first Career College to specialise in Advanced Manufacturing, Engineering and Information Technology with the aim to inspire and equip young people in the area to become the next generation of advanced manufacturing, engineers and computer specialists.
The Career College has been developed to tackle a significant skills shortage in the region as well as a predicted jobs boost with the creation of the International Advanced Manufacturing Park near Nissan.
Career Colleges have been proposed by the Career Colleges Trust to take advantage of the Government’s decision to allow Further Education Colleges to recruit at 14 and has:
- Increased the range and choice of opportunities open to 14–16 year olds.
- Specialised in subjects linked directly to sectors with exceptional job prospects.
- Given young people a head start by guaranteeing them a place on the South Shields Marine School Pre-Cadet programme (direct route into a Marine Engineering career) provided they achieve their minimum GCSE requirements.
- Given young people a head start by developing the skills, knowledge and experience most prized by employers.
- Provided accelerated vocationally-focused programmes of study alongside core academic work to national curriculum standards.
- Provided clear progression routes into higher education, apprenticeships, further education and employment.